So you have decided that in the best interest of your small company, hiring outside professional help would be beneficial. Not only so you can focus your time and energy on other aspects of your company but also to have the confidence that a professional is handling the important financial requests and needs of the company. But what exactly are you looking for when hiring outside. Are there specific requirements that need to be met? How can you ensure in the best way possible that your company is in the right hands financially?
There are many qualities and qualifications you can look for when hiring and accountant. The pieces that are most important to you and you company are of your decision. But let us go over some main points prior to hiring.
“There are many things to look for when searching for an accountant.
- You want someone who has experience or specializes in small businesses or corporate taxes along with bookkeeping. They will have the most knowledge as to how to properly manage your books and get you breaks on your taxes where possible.
- Someone who has an accounting designation will be that much more qualified because they have that extra certification and education on their part. But take into account that doesn’t necessarily mean they are better than someone who doesn’t.
- It is also important to ask around and see what others have to say and who they use.
- You also want someone who’s honest, organized, and easy to communicate with that can explain things to you in a way that makes sense.” (Colleen Hurley, BBA.)
- It may also be in your best interest to look for an accountant who is under a governing body like the CPA. CPA is the Chartered Professional Accountants of Alberta which has a mission of “Protecting the public’s interest by educating and regulating the competency and ethical standards of its members, and promoting the value of the CPA designation.”CPA,Alberta,2016.Retrieved from http://www.cpaalberta.ca/About-Us
Now that we have gone over what to look for in an accountant, let’s take a look into bookkeeping and what we can look for to ensure we are hiring someone that best suits the needs of your company.
- “Reputable -check out their track record, other clients (if available), online local are business sites, Facebook, websites.
- Respected-are they respected by the community, other clients, Facebook
- Reasonable prices-bookkeeper range from $25-$40 per hour and offices start at $65 an hour and go up from that point.
- Trustworthy-do they have your best interest in mind, listen to you and provide you with knowledgeable feedback on how to help yourself, your company without making you feel stupid or like you are wasting their time.
- Depending on who you are looking to hire take into consideration big businesses, small businesses and proprietors…. they all have positive and negative points. Can they do everything for you (bookkeeping…. accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll as well as provide tax slips for personal taxes, GST returns and year ends T2 submissions)
- When hiring an office, big or small make sure to request that one employee works on your file and become acquainted with them. This employee will have a better understanding of your company if communication from the start is open, because you and only you know how your company works and this will make the process less painful and save you money in the long run.
- Trusting someone with your bookkeeping is trusting someone with your money. They should be willing to work with you and for you, not against you.
- Please remember they are not magicians and cannot fix everything but if they are a good bookkeeper or accountant they should be able to make the process less stressful and not riddled with unexpected roadblocks.” (Peggy Bell, February 20,2018.)
Special thanks to Colleen Hurley, BBA and Peggy Bell for their insight, and information in accounting and bookkeeping.
For more information on the CPA their website is http://www.cpaalberta.ca/
For more information on BitLedger you can visit their website at https://bitledger.ca/
BitLedger is a great example of integrated outside professional help for your small company. We provide integrated services and specialize in many different areas that can be extremely valuable to your company. Some of the areas that we can take off your hands are:
- Accounting and payroll
- Business planning and budgeting
- Reporting and analysis
- Human resources
These are just a few examples of what BitLedger can support in your business. If you are interested in learning more please visit their website, facebook page, or Linkedin.